Reverse Skull, “Guilty Wave” Nerf Errata Explained
January 6, 2017
To all Buddyfighters,
As you may know, there were many large Buddyfight competitons and events held worldwide in 2016.
We’re glad to see so many Buddyfighters enjoying this game.
In December, several large scale tournaments for the Japanese edition was held in Japan.
We realized that among the upper rankings, there were many decks that utilized the “Zetta-Loop combo”.
For people who may not know, a combo is a strategy of combining the use of two or more cards in order to maximize the potential of the cards.
The existence of combos are definitely not a bad thing. In fact, they make card games like Buddyfight fun and exciting.
One combo in particular, known as the “Zetta-Loop”, just proved to be too strong.
Once the combo was completed, usually, the player utilizing the “Zetta-Loop” would win with the opponent not being able to do anything about it.
We feel that it created many games that were not fun and it was not how we wanted games of Buddyfight to be played.
The card in question is “Reverse Skull, “Guilty Wave”" (D-BT01A-EB02/0012EN)
In such scenarios, we at Bushiroad will usually either ban or restrict the usage of such cards and/or combos.
But after having play-tested the card extensively, we decided that doing either would not be the most ideal solution.
1. Banning the card (you’re not allowed to use even one of this card in your deck)
- We can certainly prevent the barrage of attacks from Zetta Loop decks this way, but at the same time, we’d end up eliminating many other combo possibilities with other cards.
- The value of “Reverse Skull, “Guilty Wave”" would no doubt drop to ZERO.
- We can ban it from being used in combos with certain cards, but we feel it will cause too much complication.
2. Restricting the card (limiting the usage to one or two of them in a deck)
- This does not resolve the core problem as players can simply use cards that can search for “Reverse Skull, “Guilty Wave”", such as “But He is of the Lowest Rank” (H-EB02/0031EN).
So in order to solve the issue, while still making Buddyfight fun for everyone, we have decided to issue an errata for the card, “Reverse Skull, “Guilty Wave”".
Below is the new ability/effect for Reverse Skull, “Guilty Wave”:
This new ability will take effect from January 20, 2017.
We apologize to everyone for the inconvenience caused due to the change in this card.
Please be assured that this is a special case and we will not take this type of action on a regular basis.
However, we will continue to monitor the state of the game, and take appropriate actions when necessary.
Our objective has been, and always will be to develop games that are fun for everyone, and we will work even harder to make sure these kinds of issues do not happen in the first place.
Once again, we would like to make use of this opportunity to express our gratitude to all Buddyfighters for being so passionate in our games and helping us ensure the game is fun for everyone.
Future Card Buddyfight Team